The “Fédération Internationale de Philatélie” (FIP) was established in 1926 and has:
- 90 Regular Members (National Philatelic Federations) – including the New Zealand Philatelic Federation
- three Associated Members (Continental Federations) – Europe, Americas and Asia
- promotional Members (Postal Administrations)
The aims of FIP are to:
- promote stamp collecting and philately
- maintain friendly relations and friendship among all peoples
- establish and maintain close relations with the philatelic trade and postal administrations
- promote philatelic exhibitions by granting Patronage and Auspices
FIP considers stamp shows are the best platform to promote philately and are therefore instrumental in establishing rules and guidelines for the organisation and the rules for assessing the standards achieved by exhibitors of these international exhibitions.
Within FIP each philatelic discipline has a Commission. Details can be found at FIP Commissions and New Zealand delegates.
Further details can be found on their website at www.f-i-p.ch