BAYPEX 2014 STAMP SHOW
New Zealand National Stamp Exhibition
& Australasian Challenge
14th – 16th November 2014
Pettigrew Green Arena, 480 Gloucester Street Taradale, Napier
|Proudly sponsored by:|
Results – are on line November 2014
Exhibition organising committee
|Chairman||Jan Price||Executive Secretary||Roger Mole|
|Minutes Secretary||Margaret Joll||Treasurer||John Goudie|
|Exhibits Officer||Robyn Powell||Publicity Officer||John Paston|
|Hall Manager||Dave Smith||Web Site and printing||Murray Macdonald|
|Catering||Kevin Thompson||Schools Co-ordinator||Denys Nichols|
|NZPF Coordinator||Stephen Chivers||Chairman of Jury||Norman Banfield|
|NZ Post representative||Alan Hollows||NZSDA representative||David Holmes|
|Marketing||John Gahagan||Australian Co-ordinator||Gary Brown|
|Bin-room Co-ordinator||Leigh Gravestock|
Secretary, Baypex 2014, PO Box 865, Hastings 4201, New Zealand
Phone: +64 6 876 5911
It is my privilege to welcome everyone to Baypex 2014. This is the second New Zealand National Exhibition to be held in Hawke’s Bay the first being in 2004. The 2014 is much larger due to the Australasian Challenge, with overseas and New Zealand exhibitors showing a great diversity of philatelic material including postcards.
Special thanks to New Zealand Post, dealers, sponsors and supporters as it is your support that has made Baypex 2014 possible.
A special welcome to the Australian commissioners, judges, exhibitors and visitors. We hope you enjoy your time at Baypex 2014 and experience the sights and sounds of Hawkes Bay.
To all the New Zealand exhibition judges, exhibitors and visitors from Finland and the Emirates we are delighted to see you at Baypex 2014.
Prizes and donations
|The Grand Award has been gifted by New Zealand Post and is a superb master crafted glass bowl.|
We are delighted to be able to thank the following for donations of prizes and awards:
|New Zealand Post||Grand Award|
|Fletcher Cole Memorial Trust||Runner up to Grand Award|
|Mowbray Collectables||Best Adult New Zealand Exhibit|
|Campbell Paterson Ltd||Outstanding New Zealand entry|
|Federation Cup||Novice Exhibit 3 frames and over|
|One Frame Tray||Novice one-frame award|
|Phyllis Turnbull Trophy||Best entry by Lady Philatelist|
|Marcel Stanley Trophy||Adult development. 1- or 2-frames|
|Banfield Cup||Adult ½-frame development class|
|Richard Armstrong Memorial Award||Most deserving 1st time youth|
|Jeff Long||Best Multi-frame Postcard exhibit|
|New Zealand Postcard Society||Best 1-or 2-frame Postcard exhibit|
|New Zealand Postcard Society||Prize for each youth postcard exhibit|
|Trevor and Ann Bevan||Youth development prize|
|Philatelic Youth Council||Youth Grand Award.|
|North Shore Philatelic Society||Special Youth Award|
|John Campbell||Best Exhibit in Open Class|
|John Campbell||Best One-frame|
|Postal History Society of NZ||Best NZ Postal History Exhibit|
|Cartridge World Hastings||Best Overseas exhibit.|
|Sydney Stamp Expo 2015|
|Kapiti Philatelic Society|
|Hastings Stamp Collectors Club|
|Hawkes Bay Philatelic Society|
|Friday, 14 November 2014|
|10.00 am||Exhibition Hall doors open|
|11.30 am||Mr Fenton Wilson, Chairman Hawke’s Bay Regional Council officially opens the Exhibition.|
|6.00 pm||Exhibition Hall closes.|
|6.00 pm||Exhibitors function at the “Duke of Gloucester”.|
|Saturday, 15 November 2014|
|10.00 am||Exhibition Hall re-opens.|
|10.30 am||Rhodesian Study Group.|
|1.00 pm||Association of NZ Philatelic Judges|
|2.30 pm||Thematic Association of NZ|
|4.00 pm||NZ Postcard Society Post Card collecting and exhibiting in Australia and New Zealand|
|6.00 pm||Exhibition Hall Closes|
|7.30 pm||Palmares Dinner and Awards ceremony at the “Duke of Gloucester”|
|Sunday, 16 November 2014|
|10.00 am||Exhibition Hall re-opens|
|10.30 am||Judges’ Critique|
|12.00 am||Voting on Schools “Design a Stamp” closes|
|2.30 pm||Schools awards presentation|
|4.00 pm||Exhibition Hall Closes|
Special souvenirs of the exhibition
Mini sheets with Exhibition overprint
We will be overprinting the New Zealand 2014 World War l miniature sheet and the 2014 Makariki miniature sheet with “BAYPEX 2014 National Stamp Exhibition”. These will be a strictly limited edition of only 100 WW l and 200 Matariki. These will be available at the venue or by mail order after the exhibition at a cost of $20.00 for the WW1 and $12.00 for the Matariki mini sheet. Orders for these will be limited to 2 of each per customer.
Cover with all four CALs
In addition to the souvenirs already advertised there will be a special cover with the Baypex 2014 logo and the four exhibition CALS. These will be on sale at $15.00.
NZ Post exhibition miniature sheet
New Zealand Post will be issuing a special Exhibition mini sheet which will be on sale from the Post Office stand or the New Zealand Post Philatelic Bureau. There will also be three illustrated cancels, one for each day of the Exhibition available only on the relevant day and only at the Exhibition.
Big Bird – Mascot of the PYC
NZ Post is displaying a wide range of World War 1 Postcards, stamps and other memorabilia.
Come and have fun in in the Bay!
We are looking forward to welcoming you all to Sunny Hawkes Bay.
The following is provided for you or your partner’s time away from the exhibition and may help in making full, fun use of your holiday.
A wide range of pamphlets covering wine, art and food trails can be picked up at the entrance to the hall.
- Art Deco guide walks and tours. Hear the story of the earthquake that devastated the original town and discover the era of style and optimism with which the present day Napier was built.
- Sheepksin tanning – free tours. 22 Thames Street, Pandora. Phone 06 835 9662, email email@example.com.
- Splash Planet – a trip there can provide day of fun for everyone.
- Te Mata Peak. If you want to see most of Hawkes Bay at one time an ascent to the top of Te Mata Peak is a must. The view is breathtaking!
- Wine tours. Hawkes Bay is one of NZ’s leading wine destinations. Take time to sample some of what is to offer with wines from Hawkes Bay’s river valleys, terraces and hillsides of vineyards.
- Trainworld. A must for model railway enthusiasts and for all ages from 2 to 100. Open every day in Dickens Street from 10am to 4pm.
- Gannet Beach Adventures. 4×4 Safaris or Beach Tractor Adventures.
- National Aquarium of NZ. NZ’s largest display of aquatic life and unique NZ wildlife, including sharks, stingrays, crocodiles, living coral, kiwi, tuatara and huge range of fish species.
- MTG (Museum, Theatre, Gallery). Hawkes Bay’s superb new complex welcomes visitors from all over the world to share in the fascinating history of NZ through the lens of Hawkes Bay.
- Golf courses. Why not visit one of the many course in the area. At al clubs it is advised you phone first to check green fees and times.
- Napier Golf Club, Waiohiki Links, phone 844 7913
- Hastings Golf Club, 1623 Maraokakaho Road, phone 879 7206
- Hawkes Bay Golf Club, Flaxmere, phone 879 8890
- Maraenui Golf Club, Te Awa Avenue, phone 835 8273
- Cape Kidnappers Golf Course, 446 Clifton Road, phone 873 1018
- Golflands, 248 State Highway 2, Mangateretere (9 hole public course), phone 871 5643
The Organising Committee are pleased to announce that we are on track with BAYPEX 2014. At the close of entries we had received applications for 652 frames with the full range of classes covered. A large number of entries have been received from Australia which is supporting the Australasian Challenge. We were particularly pleased with the number of first entries which shows the continuing popularity of the hobby.
This Bulletin further describes our plans for the event and these will be detailed finally in Bulletin No.4 which is due out in October.
New Zealand Post
New Zealand Post, our major sponsor will be at BAYPEX 2014 with a wide range of New Zealand Postal Items. Postal facilities will be available in the ARENA. Individual cancels will be available on each day of the three days of the Exhibition
We are particularly grateful for the sponsorship of not only New Zealand Post, our major sponsor, but also without whose generous support this exhibition would not be possible.
We are also indebted to Cartridge World for sponsoring our printing and supporting the web site also – The Eastern and Central Community Trust, Office Products Depot and The Infinity Foundation Limited.
Exhibitors’ Function and Palmares
These will both be held in the “Duke of Gloucester” at 389 Gloucester Street, Taradale.
The Exhibitors’ function will be a social event for exhibitors, sponsors, judges, dealers and invited guests and will give an opportunity for participants to get to know each other. It will be held at 6 p.m. on Friday the 14th.
The Palmares will be held on Saturday evening from 7.30 p.m.
The order form for tickets for both functions is enclosed with this Bulletin and is also included on the Baypex 2014 website.
We are pleased to be able to welcome the following dealers to BAYPEX 2014:
- Val Palenski, 85 Victoria Avenue, Hokowhitu, Palmerston North 4410. (06) 358 1538 Mob 027 283 0115
- Bill Leggett Collectables, PO Box 40 722, Upper Hutt 5140. (04) 528 2552
- Kadine Stamps, PO Box 3382, New Plymouth 4341. (06) 759 8212 Mob.027 240 4462
- Torsten Weller, PO Box 214, Caulfield South, Vic 3162, Australia. 00 61 3 9571 1243
- Auckland City Stamps, 1 Ngaire Ave, Newmarket, Auckland 1440. (09) 522 0311
- Eccles Stamps, 1st floor, AMI Plaza, 342 Lambton Quay, Wellington. (04) 499 6460
- Al Visini, 399 Hibiscus Coast Highway, Orewa 0931. (09) 426 4424 0274 902 257
- Campbell Paterson, PO Box 99988, Newmarket, Auckland 1149. (09) 379 3086
- Classic Stamps, PO Box 5086, Springlands, Blenheim 7241. (03) 579 5650
- Philatelic Distributors Ltd., 15 Mount Edgecumbe Street, New Plymouth. (06) 758 6568
- John & Jan Fitzpatrick. PO Box 35307, Browns Bay, North Shore City, 0753. (09) 478 7599
- Ashford Stamps Ltd., 1 Ngaire Avenue, Newmarket, Auckland. (09) 520 5946
- Warwick Jost, PO Box 311, Katikati 3166. (07) 549 2562 Mob 021 0283 7992
- Alan Craig, 10 Burwood Place, Hamilton. (07) 856 5499
- Nustamps, PO Box 230001, Botany, Manukau 2163. (09) 272 4484
- William Carson, PO Box 1836, Auckland 1140. (09) 377 4009
Events already scheduled
Opening Ceremony will be held on Friday morning at the venue.
Exhibitors’ function and Palmareson Friday and Saturday evenings respectively.
The following meetings have already been arranged in the Harris Room
Rhodesian Study Group, NZ Association of Philatelic Judges, Thematic Association of NZ, NZ Postcard Society and Royal Philatelic Society of NZ.
A full timetable of these will appear in Bulletin No.4 together with costs of the various functions and information on booking. If any other Societies or Organisations require the Harris Room for a meeting or other activity, please advise the Baypex Secretary as soon as possible and a time should be able to be arranged.
Postcards of Hawke’s Bay
Special souvenirs of the exhibition
Mini sheet with exhibition overprint
BAYPEX 2014 will be overprinting a mini sheet – details in Bulletin No.4.
NZ Post exhibition mini-sheet and postmarks
New Zealand Post will also be issuing a special Exhibition Mini sheet. There will also be three illustrated cancels, one for each day of the Exhibition.
There will also be a special cover available at the exhibition with the exhibition logo and all four CALs.
And don’t forget to obtain the souvenirs detailed in our earlier bulletin.